Sunday 27 March 2011

Our Farewell to Alden and soon to Italy

I almost did it... I almost tried to figure out a way to get to and from a place an hour away from here so I could watch Alden play until 1 a.m. even though we have to be at the airport for the long trek home at 5 a.m. I figured we could sleep all we wanted on the plane. Bob brought me to my senses... not in the regular
way, but I knew it would be really hard on Bob and I didn't want to put him through that AND he was right; it would have been"nuts." I didn't care! I wanted to squeeze every second out of my time with Alden that was possible.

Instead, we made a quick pull off of the bandaid type of goodbye and Bob and I could comfort each other in private (or at least not in front of Alden.). No doubt we looked very odd to all the Florentines that saw us walking down the street with sunglasses on at dusk on a grey day to hide our crying eyes. We miss him already!

There is much I will miss of Italy & will miss this little apartment that's been such a wonderful home for us. I'll miss being a stranger in a strange land where I can't take anything for granted at all. I'll miss being dwarfed by history I can touch and be awe inspired by as part of my everyday life here. I'm re-reading The Agony and the Ecstasy which will help me hold on to some of this experience just a bit longer I hope.

I'm also ready to be home and not be a stranger and to hug my friends and my dog!!

Now off to finish packing.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment